Thursday, August 1, 2024

249801 Our precious eyes

The human eye.

We humans have these big beautiful eyes that give us the sense of sight. We rely on those eyes to get us where we want to go. They give us joy to see family and friends. The eyes are perhaps our most precious possession.

There is one thing that I’ll bet you didn't know. That thing is this: The eye only sees 1% of what we look at. Hard to believe isn’t it? So how can this be?

The eye takes in sight through the center of our pupil and that ties back to the retina, the retina connects to the brain. If we only see 1% of what’s there, wouldn’t we just see barely a speck when we look at something instead of the wide angle view we have? When that 1% hits the brain, the brain determines what it is from the 1% and fills out the other 99% with what it thinks is correct. I know this all sounds unbelievable, but it’s true.

When Joyce lost most of her vision after her first aneurysm she saw nothing in one eye and 15 % in the remaining eye. The one eye completely detached the line to her retina. The 15 % came through the other side with a partly fried connection to the retina. She had to take an eye drop of medicine to keep the line fluid so it wouldn't dry out and break away, leaving her blind.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo of Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only see 1-%, Gee what are we miss
    Ing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment; I suppose we'll never know. I often wake up in the middle of the night. It is dark and seeing just 1%, my brain makes up the rest and it is vision of things like patterns that aren't really there. I've never had a psychedelic trip, but it seems like something I would expect on a trip.

      Delete
  3. Kathy, you should have seen her when she was 18. She was the only woman for me. She's been gone for 2 years and 11,5 months now. I miss her every day. At times I feel her presence behind me. No one could ever take her place in my life.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete