Friday, September 1, 2023

230901 Daylight

mobile theme
I realized something yesterday.

I looked out my window to the west at 7:30 last night and the sun was down over the horizon. There was still a bit of light, but not very much. On June 21st (Summer Solstice) of this year the sun was still visible at 8:45 in the evening. We have lost over 1 hour of daylight since June 21st. Our daylight will continue to diminish until December 21st (Winter Solstice) when we have 9 hours and 36 minutes of daylight. That is down from 14 hours and 43 minutes on June 21st of this year.

So what does this mean in the scheme of our existence? This only means minor changes in our schedule of daily living for the folks working, but to us retirees, nothing at all. My writing and beer drinking are not affected. My sleep schedule does not change. The only things that change are my electric bill and the times I will be driving my car.

This old man is cold all year long. I have been outside this summer in 98 degree weather and not broken a sweat. Years ago on the farm, I’d be out working in the heat of summer and my T-shirt would be soaking wet. Today that would not be so.

This being the first day of September, I had to listen to my favorite song about September,"September in the Rain" listen and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment