Tuesday, October 11, 2022

221011 October means Halloween

Joyce in her first Halloween costume.

It’s only 20 days until the ghosts and goblins come out to play!

Those of us old enough to remember years ago likely have some recollection of leaving our homes right after dark and roaming the streets near our home without adult supervision because it was safe for kids to go out with a friend or several friends. Every door with a light on got dozens of kids knocking on the door for candy or caramel corn or candied apples. My friend Jim and I had our surplus army gear as our costumes year after year. Every door opened and kids were invited into the living room where parents and grandparents eagerly awaited to see them. Every kid had to tell a joke, sing a song or do a little dance to get their candy. All the while the adults would scan the happy faces and try to guess if they knew the child from next door or a block or two away. There were never any pins or foul substances in what was handed out. My mother would check all of my bounty when I returned home. She usually removed the candied apples and the jelly beans for “safety,” Truth be told she liked them. That was fine for me because I didn’t care for either of them.

Fast forward, as a teen we went out to the country and went on hayrides where a boy usually got a kiss from a young lady. That was always nice.
Forward again, in 1969 we were living in a trailer park near the navy base in Millington, Tennessee. On Halloween Joyce took Annie and a neighbor boy out trick or treating while I stayed home to hand out candy. We had shopping bags full of candy we bought to give away. We did not realize that sailors nearby had lots of kids and they all showed up looking for candy. I handed out all we had bought, then handed out my stash of candy bars that were for me, then handed out all the change from our change jar and shifted to dollar bills. I finally had to turn off the porch light because I had nothing left. Joyce returned with Annie, then turned on the porch light and Annie handed out all the candy she had received until the night was over.
Forward, this picture is of My Annie in 1995 in her hand made costume for Halloween. My good witch still loves Halloween !


No comments:

Post a Comment