Sunday, June 12, 2022

220612 Verbiage

Verbiage
I enjoy the English language and I find some odd tags in our spoken words. For instance, the word throttlebottom. A throttlebottom is: an innocuously inept and futile person in public office. I like that one because it has meaning and yet few people have ever heard the word.

Woke: slang for someone who is alert to racial prejudice and discrimination. Woke is actually the past tense of wake. I have heard that woke also is used to describe those people overly sensitive to any words they perceive as disparaging, whether to them or others.

Nugget: definition is a small lump of gold, but it is used as slang for a strange or silly person, or one who has done or has just done something silly. Naval pilots use nugget as a term describing a pilot on his/her first carrier deployment. My favorite description, a small piece of chicken toasted and fried.

And my last word is run. Would you believe that the word run has 645 different meanings in English? If you don’t mind, I won’t list them all in this post. Hmn, post itself can be several things, such as: a sturdy piece of wood placed upright in the ground to hang a fence, or a metal piece used for the same thing. And in fact what you have just read is called a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment