Thursday, March 24, 2022

220324 Sentinel, Kindness is not Dead

When Joyce and I moved to this apartment, my daughter and son in law, my nepew and his love helped us make our move here of of their kindness. Today I am witnessing the kindness and love of friends and family after my depression 6 days ago.
I am frankly overwhelmed at all of the outpouring of kindness.

I have a story to share. 2 days ago I found a rocking chair I wanted to buy. It has a steel frame and is designed for use on a patio, but also in the home. I lept at the chance to purchase it. I was having a difficult time lifting it from a stack of them in the store. A clerk came over, without my asking, to help me. I checked it out at the register and the same clerk called on one of the floormen to carry it to my car. It was immediately obvious it was too big to fit in the car or the trunk. I thanked the man who helped me because he was needed back in the store. I stood there for a minute and decided to put the chair on the trunk if I could figure out how to accomplish the task. I tried 2 different ways but to no avail.

This is the chair and there was no way it would fit inside the trunk or the back seat of my little car. The rocker rails are 4 feet long, the height is 3 feet and the width is 2 feet. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the chair.


Here is where another act of kindness came into play. A young man pulled up to park his truck and saw me there, trying to accomplish the impossible. He stepped out of his truck and asked, “May I help you sir?” I replied “if you could, put in your truck and follow me to my apartment just 2 blocks away. I will gladly pay you.” His reply was, “no payment necessary.” He put it in the bed of his truck and I led the way to my apartment. We got separated in traffic and I wondered if I had made a poor judgment? His truck was high off the ground and he could still see me while I could not see him. I drove into the parking lot and he was close behind. He lifted the chair out of the truck and offered to bring it inside for me. I said I could get it over the short distance and again I offered to pay him for his service and again he declined. Ladies and gentlemen, kindness is alive and well in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment