Friday, October 8, 2021

211008 Sentinel, Digital Currency

mobile theme



The Federal Reserve has begun studying a digital currency.

I have no idea of whether this would be a good thing or not. There are already several variants available through private enterprise; I see commercials for them all the time on TV. For all I know that would be the end of paper money and coins.

The concept as I read it is this: no more paper currency and everyone will have a checking account directly to the Federal Reserve. You’ll use a card (like a credit card I suppose) and you will just click the terminal at a retail establishment and that is how you will buy things.

I know the government would like to know every dollar you have and where that dollar comes from. The question is would the citizenry like that idea?

There is a benefit for Uncle Sam, with a digital currency everything is stored in one pot so I’m assuming they will be able to just make numbers to cover their debts. I cannot be sure, but I think they are already doing that.

It seems to me to be convenient enough, but if your digital card was lost or stolen you could perhaps lose everything you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment