Tuesday, July 20, 2021

210720 Sentinel, Matinees, Trucks and Today's Song

mobile theme

Saturday Matinees

I used to go to the Saturday Matinees every week and they were wonderful. There were serial short subjects with Commander Cody or William Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy, in shorts that were wonderful. The show was within walking distance and there were two beautiful female identical twin ushers there. One of which I met decades later who turned out to be the mother-in-law of my oldest sister and she was still a beautiful woman. I was given a quarter to walk to the show. That quarter got me into the movie and allowed me to get popcorn, a drink and a candy. Try that with today’s movie prices!

I always was fascinated with 1950 to 1965 Chevy trucks.

I had a 65 that I loved. The Chevy in-line six cylinder engine was the best engine at that time. My 65 had 100,000 miles on it when I bought it and still ran like a dream. Something I learned much later is the original Chevy Corvette in 1953 was built on a Chevy truck frame and had the classic Chevy in-line six cylinder engine with a 4-speed transmission and became what the Corvette is today, with of course a much larger V-eight engine and even automatic transmissions, which to me is an abomination of a sports car.

Today’s song that will not leave my brain.

The song is by the Everly Brothers, titled “All I Have to do is Dream” It is a 1958 song that whether you are 13 as I was or 73 the song is relevant to anyone who is in love or working toward it.

No comments:

Post a Comment