Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Your Sentinel Today, Maintenance 200811


      This is the time of year for wild daiseys and I always look for them in open spaces. They never seem to want to grow where I want them. They have a mind of their own.

      We sold our small farm years ago and it was a big relief for both of us. I was tired and unable to keep up with the myriad of maintenance chores that go with a 95 year old farmhouse. Joyce was tired of having to go 10-20 miles away to shop or go to an appointment. We moved into an apartment in a larger town, but not a major town, just big enough so we could easily access whatever we needed. I thought my maintenance problems were over, but I was wrong (I've been there before). It turns out that no matter where a person lives, there are maintenance issues. Air conditioners fail, faucets leak, toilets need wax seal replacements, but in an apartment I can just "call the guy," right? Whatever you live in, wherever you live there are maintenance problems, but when you have "the guy" they take care of it.
      Neighbors are a different thing. You always have neighbors. They come and go. We currently have no neighbor issues and that is a good thing. Our neighbors at the moment are either quiet or very friendly.
      One thing about apartments so far is no burglars. When you live in rent, it doesn't make you a target for burglars. They must figure you have nothing worth taking a chance on. Farm areas, the further from town burglars know there's always guns if nothing else and there must be an easy way to sell them. I don't know where my guns went when we were burglized on the farm, but from then on we always worried about leaving the house and coming back to another burglary. Ours happened 31 years ago, but until now I always was concerened about another one happening. Now we have nothing on a burglar's most wanted list. If one occurs, they will run away empty handed.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment