Saturday, August 15, 2020

Is it ROKU or is it me?


This on the top picture is the ROKU device Joyce has, the one on the bottom picture is mine.
When we moved to a new place it no longer had cable, it does have video streaming that is even better. My west coast bureau chief sent me a ROKU Express device so Joyce could have streaming video on her TV. It turned out to be a nice piece of equipment and essential when we no longer had cable TV. My set was already a smart TV so I didn't need a ROKU. I did like the way her set worked so I bought myself one at Walmart. I did not realize at that time I had bought a ROKU Plus device instead of an Express until I got it home and had it set up. It turns out that the Plus has a microphone that allows me to speak to the TV and whatever I tell it to search for, it goes out and finds what I want to watch. That part is a great feature rather than having to click on a grid of letters to find a show I want to watch. All was well until it wasn't. There must have been some software update that loaded up on my device or perhaps it was invaded by an evil spirit because now the ROKU talks to me! Of course maybe it's the voices in my head that are always debating with me. Whatever it is, that's all it is. The thing that bothers me is the fact that the female voice mispronounces a lot of words and continues talking as my selection plays. I have to rewind to hear the opening of my selection. There may be a way to turn her off, but so far I haven't found it yet.

Me, the guy who thinks talking to robots is crap, now talks to them on my TV and on many calls I have to make these days. As the old 'Red Green' show that was on PBS used to say, "I am a man and I can change, if I have to."

No comments:

Post a Comment