Thursday, December 26, 2019

The Best of Times and the worst of times 191226

      This is my story about my grandfather, one of the best. He was a simple, kind, intelligent man who was always dependable. What more can one ask than that?



      I used to think my grandpa lived through the best of times and the worst of times. He began as an infant left on the steps of a convent. When he was old enough he was shipped on one of the orphan trains from NYC to the mid-west to be checked at every stop by farmers to add to the farm workforce. His first day off the train his then new mother told him he was not really part of the family. His then pseudo brother was the delight of the family. That same brother wouldn't even pay for his mother's funeral many years later, my grandfather did. For all that rocky start, he turned out to be the best family man and grandpa.

      It is not how we start in life, it is how we finish in life that counts. The priest who held services for him took my mother aside and said he was in heaven that very day because he had the faith of a child. I never heard a minister say that before or after. I remember grandpa never let his praying knees get lazy.

      As for the best of times, grandpa lived through the industrial revolution, saw the advent of radio, television, all the modern conveniences, including indoor toilets, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, the ending of world war one and two.

      He was the only grandpa I ever had and he was always a kind soul. I spent more time with him than my own father. He always had time for me as I grew up. He always had sound advice for me and never disparaged me. He taught me more things than anyone else. I like to think I am more like him than anyone else. I know I will never be as good a man as he was, but I do try to be like him in every way. I think what a wonderful world this would be if everyone was like he was.

      I don't mean to take away from the many good men I have known during my lifetime and still know today. There are so many good men in our world, just not enough of them. I've experienced the good and the bad men during my lifetime. I prefer the good ones.

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment