Thursday, October 31, 2019

Halloween Memory 191031

      The mid-west and the north-east will have cold, miserable weather for trick or treat youngsters tonight. Those costumes that were bought or made by moms will have to be covered with winter coats. I don't remember a Halloween when I had to wear a coat when I was a child, but Joyce says that she does.



      1968 I was still in the navy, we had bought a trailer and had it parked in Shady Lawn park just west of the naval technical training center in Millington, Tennessee. It was a navy town and the park was filled with navy families and they all had a lot of kids.

      Joyce took our daughter Annie out to traverse the park collecting candy for her trick or treat evening. I was home with all kinds of candy to hand out to the neighbor kids. There were so many I ran out of candy, ran out of the candy bars I had bought for myself and all the change I had. I finally turned out the lights because I didn't want to be saying "sorry I have nothing to give you."

      Joyce and Annie came home and Joyce asked, "why are all the lights out?" I told her what happened, we turned the lights back on and Annie got to re-distribute all the candy she had collected. I think she enjoyed that as much as she did collecting it.

      I remember my mother used to check all the bags of candy when my siblings came home on Halloween, ostensibly to ensure that it was safe for them to eat. She in fact just liked the really low quality jelly beans and she left the better candy for them to eat.

      It seems a sad state of affairs to me that kids now have to go to shopping malls or church events under parent supervision to trick or treat because it is not safe to let them roam out into their own neighborhood to collect treats. As Joyce continues to say, "we have to live our lives to protect us from the bad guys."

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment