Monday, June 3, 2019

God bless Texas 190603

      Joyce and I have traveled through the Texas panhandle many more times than I can remember today. Only one time was a pleasant experience. Most times our car either broke down or we were driving through ice storms.



      Our experience going through Hereford Texas usually had thick black clouds that looked like thunderstorms in the distance, but were actually clouds of cow dirt at the stockyards there. Trying to hold our breath during transit was futile. We just couldn't do it.
      Once when I was in the navy my squadron had a plane go down in Dallas. I happened to be on duty that Sunday so I was sent on another plane to repair it. It turned out the spare parts I took from supply to repair the plane in Dallas Texas were defective. I spent 3 days there and finally I had to work around the problem to get us home to North Island in San Diego. The pilot had to follow Interstate 10 to get us close enough to San Diego so I could electrically jumper our radio and tacan to get us home.
       I applaud the state of Texas for sending so many of her sons into the military and fighting wars around the world. For that I love the state of Texas. I don't believe there are many states that have done so much for our country.Texas has also done so much in the electronic industry to advance our nation. Houston, Texas is big with NASA and no doubt will be big in the new Space Force.
      As I write this, I do remember a fond memory on our first trip through the panhandle. We stopped at the big Texan steakhouse in Amarillo, (interior picture below).

      I remember being there like it was yesterday though it was 54 years ago in March of this year. They still have the 4.5 pound steak that is free if you can eat it at one sitting. I didn't even try, but many have through the years and few have ever gotten it free. The food was very good there back then and I imagine it is still good today.
      With all of our travails going through Texas, I can still say God bless Texas.
      
Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment