Saturday, October 20, 2018

Home Grown Squash 181020


      This was part of my butternut squash harvest back on the farm this month in 2013. I remember it well. Joyce and I were out that day picking them. The vines and leaves tended to hide them so I was stepping between them to pick the harvest. I had planted them from seeds that I had saved from a squash we bought the year before. When I got to the last one, I stepped over a vine and went to reach for the squash when Joyce yelled, "there's a big snake wrapped around that one!" I was just one foot away from getting myself bitten by a very large black snake. I had to wait for an hour until the snake finally moved away and I could pick the last squash.
      I have been sorting through pictures this week that I scanned a few years ago and have found a lot of farm pictures that I separated and then put them in folders so I could find them, so there will be some more coming with posts in the near future.
      Those squash were the best we ever had and there was enough to share. Farming is strange, because farmers are always betting there will be enough rain, but not too much and that the seeds will actually sprout and the insects won't destroy the crop. I never used any pesticides on my crop or my orchard and what I got was so much better than anything one can buy in a grocery store. Cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower are so much better when grown in your own garden it is astounding! I know now that when I see the beautiful produce in a grocery store it has been grown with so much pesticides because it is too beautiful. Home grown crops never look so wonderful without massive pesticides, but the flavors are so much better with ugly produce. You just have to slice the ugly parts off.
      We made a lot of sour kraut back years ago. It was a lot of work, it stank like a sewer for about 14 days before the smell went away, but it was so much better than kraut that you can ever buy in a store. Home grown and processed kraut is actually sweet and so delicious.
      Alas, those days are gone. We were no longer to keep up with an old house and a large plot of ground. All good things come to an end, as do all bad things. We had our time on the farm and I will always remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment