Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Dead End 1807



      I was in Ash Grove some days ago. I lived in or nearby Ash Grove for 29 years and went by this "Dead End" all that time and never hardly noticed it or gave it a second thought until this week. That sign is a metaphor for life. Sooner or later all life ends up in a dead end.
      On my way home, I drove into our parking lot and saw our missionary neighbors all suited up in their uniform of the day with their white shirts, ties and dark slacks ready to go out and save souls. This thought actually fits in with the metaphor of the dead end sign. They are doing what they believe is right, saving souls, while the church (like many other churches) is busy picking the pockets of its members before they die, convincing them that their reward is later on after death. The funny thing is that concept (which all churches preach) is all wrong, with streets of gold, or building a home in heaven. If there is an after life, (which I do believe in) that is the life of a spirit. Spirits do not need houses, streets or anything else we humans experience and need.
      The closer I approach that dead end sign, the more I think about the things of this world and the less they make sense to me.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment