Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Old memories 1806



      Every time I look at old pictures, stories come along with them. The picture above is me on the left, Hal Brown, center and Rick Gold at some bar I probably never knew the name of in Olongapo, Philippines, back in the sixties. Hal got out of the navy and became a San Diego newscaster. Rick I do not remember much about after this picture was taken.
      The kids that worked as street vendors used to come into the bars and take pictures like this one, or they would sell flower necklaces that we would buy and wear around our necks to overcome all the other smells prominent in Olongapo. They would also sell what we called monkey meat, it was bamboo skewers with small pieces of meat (maybe beef? maybe not) that were cooked on Hibachi charcoal grills right on the curb of the street. The Philippines, not San Diego, or Mexico, was the place where I discovered tacos, which seemed mighty tasty after hours of beer consumption. Oddly enough with all the street food I consumed I never once got ill from it.
      Today is the 74th anniversary of D-Day when 156,000 US, Canadian and British troops invaded Normandy, France to begin the liberation of western Europe from Nazi tyranny. Please remember the fallen troops in your prayers tonight.
      
      

No comments:

Post a Comment