Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Daylight Savings Myth

This year I have had a terrible time adjusting to what we somewhat bizarrely call daylight savings. Who can believe that by changing the hour hand on a clock, we suddenly create an extra hour of daylight? Is there anyone alive who thinks the actual amount of daylight changes? All we do is change the hands on the clock and shift everyone's schedule around. The thing that gets me is the effect it has had on my brain. All winter when we were on real time, I had my routine. I would go to bed at 11:30 and fall asleep in a matter of 2-5 minutes. Now 11:30 is 10:30, which makes 11:30 12:30. I look at the clock that says 11:30 and my mind says bedtime, but I cannot go to sleep.  I wake up at 2:30 in the morning, which is now called 3:30 and again my mind says at 3:30 you are never going to get back to sleep at this hour. When do we fall back to real time?

No comments:

Post a Comment