Thursday, August 27, 2026

260827 Haves and have nots.

Haves and have nots.

This picture was taken in 1951. That's me on the left and the girl next dooron the right side. Her name was Fran. It may have been after our first communion.

Have nots.

I don’t have Alzheimers, yet?
I don’t have dementia, yet?
I don’t have a car.
I don’t have a wife.
I don’t have the vision I once had, or the vision I had a year ago. I’m okay with my glasses, but they have their limits.
I don’t have the memory I once had. I haven’t lost everything, but I have lost a lot. On the farm I had over 100 different species of flowers. I can’t remember the name of a single one of them. I can picture them, but can’t name them. Here there are only 2 flowers I see on my walks. Those I know, Chicory and Queen Ann’s Lace. The spring flowers, I see them, but don’t remember their names.

Technology has ramped up so much, I’ve lost my ability to keep up with it. My computer with all the updates has me hanging by a thread trying to do the things I could do even a year ago. My TV doesn’t ask me if I want a butt load of new things for me to look at and then get me to sign up for ever more channels to watch. There may only be one series I want to watch on a channel that offers 40 other things.

Depression. That’s an interesting word. It comes and goes for me. It comes when I have nothing to do or when things don’t go the way I want. It shows when I’m lonely. I get tired of talking to myself.

Haves.

I’m happy when I have something to do. I shuffle things around; I move furniture and I’m happy. I sit down and start thinking about what to move next time.

I’m happy to have a nice place to live where I am now. If or when the old folks home opens, I’ll be happy to see and tour it and happy if I can afford to live there.

I’m happy to see Annie and Rhett. Funny thing here, I always say Annie first. With Rhett’s family they would say his name first. When Joyce and her family were alive they always said Joyce and Bill.
I’m happy to have good TV to watch and the apartment complex provides the internet, which saves me money.

I have a good memory of childhood and a good memory of my time in the navy, but in the other decades my memories are few.

Brother Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment