Tuesday, January 9, 2024

140109 Doctors and Medicine

Doctors are trained to practice what to do after a person gets sick. Why aren’t they trained on how to prevent people from getting sick?

This post is my opinion on doctors and medicine. I do not mean to imply that all doctors are bad, some are very good and all are human. We humans can be biased and we all make mistakes. I have a very good doctor. I was in surgery in 2011. The surgeon drilled into my skull to drain a subdural hemorrhage caused by my falling and hitting my head on a cement floor. He did a good job. Joyce’s doctors in the first hospital she was sent to damn near killed her with their care plan and less than sanitary practice. When she got to Springfield her care was much better. There were times when she was in danger of dying from the care in the other hospital. Her surgeon here did a great job and Joyce eventually recovered. She lived for another 4 years.

I see a lot of commercials for various prescription drugs. Americans take millions of them every year. I watch the commercials and at the end of them they list the side effects. It seems to me that the side effects are worse than whatever malady we may be taking the drug for in some cases. The side effects often bring on even more serious problems than what we are being treated for with the drug. Some can be severe and even result in death, which is what we are trying to prevent. I admit some drugs for some people are lifesaving and they have few or no side effects.

Dairy products are on the doctor's hit list. Some research says that dairy products cause inflammation and diabetes. They also say that sugar is bad for us. I can only say that within my family and Joyce’s family that was not the case. Joyce’s grandfather drank a lot of milk and he put sugar in it. He ate sugar cookies and sweets all day long. He was not fat and he lived to be in his eighties, longer than I care to live. Joyce's mother ate mainly sweets. She would make lemon meringue pies and eat a whole pie in one night. She only lived until she was 87 years old. My mother loved sweets, cookies, pies and ate them all the time until she passed away at 85 years old. None of the above cases had diabetes. My family was raised on milk and dairy. I’m only 78 at this time and I have always drank milk. I don’t have diabetes or cancer yet and I have no perscription drugs. I suppose some people would say beer is a drug. I would concur that it could be a drug and a marvelous one to boot. I have found that my beer relieves aches and physical pain, the type we in our late seventies all have. More important to me is that beer relieves mental anguish. I have suffered with that problem frequently during my life. It only got worse after Joyce passed away. Two beers a day for me makes that suffering subside and allows me to feel happy. Beer is the least expensive medicine available.

You may know that doctors in the thirties and forties recommended that women drink a beer everyday after childbirth to produce more mother’s milk. Doctors used to smoke cigarettes. Doctors used to drain people’s blood to cure their sickness. The mothers of the greatest generation drank and smoked before and during pregnancies and the children of the greatest generation went to war and defeated Germany and Japan, the superpowers of that time. The greatest generation were big drinkers and smokers. Those who survived the thousands of battles on land, sea and air lived to a ripe old age.

I do believe in my doctor and so far see her once a year. Mark Twain once said: “Be careful about reading health books, you may die of a missprint.” Many if not most of us get news and health information not from books but from the internet. Pick any subject and you will find pros and cons of every subject including health. All I can say is live your life and do your best. Don’t worry about dying from your health. The Lord God in heaven knows when and why you will die. He knew before you were born and His plan for you will happen in His good time. No doctor can change that. No man can change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment