Sunday, November 19, 2023

231119 Christmas Decorating

Today November 19, 2023 is 36 days until Christmas.

I have already put up and decorated my Christmas Tree and I have Christmas decorations all over the living room and kitchen. This may seem too early for many of you, but I assure you that when Joyce was still alive our home was decorated well before this time. She had everything decorated by the first of November. At one time, she had 5 Christmas trees in the house and had me outside decorating with a giant wreath on the barn and stringing lights on the pine trees near the house. I was directed to cut down branches from the Juniper trees back at our fence line so we could decorate them with Christmas lights on the front porch.

These Christmases without her will never be the same. When Joyce was around we had a house full of Christmas guests. She cooked in a big way. It began a day or two before with dishes that could be kept in the refrigerator until Christmas. On the big day, we were up at four in the morning pulling out the still frozen turkey innards and prepping the turkey that went into the oven to slow roast for hours before the big meal. The aroma filled the house and made me hungry for something I couldn’t have until hours later.

Decorating my Christmas tree has brought back all of those memories. Joyce has been in my thoughts every day and even in my dreams at night. During those dreams, she is young and vibrant once again. It has been a two edged sword; I enjoy all the memories and at the same time I’m saddened by the loss of her in my life. There never was a woman quite like her for me and there never will be one like her for me.

Here’s my Christmas wish for you readers; have a merry Christmas with your loved ones and appreciate the fact that you still have them to celebrate the happy day. May God bless you and yours.

2 comments:

  1. Well said my friend, can't wait to see your decorations.

    ReplyDelete