Thursday, September 28, 2023

230928 Remember When

I watch people when they are starting to drive from a parked position. They turn the front wheels left or right with one hand and then drive away. That wasn’t always done that way. Before power steering those big old cars with heavy inline 8 cylinder engines or the big V-8 engines could barely be turned with two hands on the wheel and a lot of grunting effort. My dad taught me to get the car barely moving and then turn the steering wheel with less effort.

I wonder how many people these days could drive a car with a standard transmission? In the early fifties nearly all cars had standard transmissions. I think Chrysler introduced the first automatic transmissions called “Fluid Drive” transmissions. You put the car in drive gear and stepped down on the gas pedal and then when the car was picking up speed, you let up on the gas pedal to allow the car to shift into “High Gear.” There were only two speeds on the transmissions. These days cars and pickup trucks have six speed, 8 speed and even 10 speed transmissions. Some cars have CVT transmissions which have continuously shifting speeds according to the power needed for the speed one wants to go.

Back in the old days, cars were made in the USA, all the parts were made here. When last I checked, something like 90% of all transmissions are made in Japan and shipped here. parts of our cars are made in Mexico, Europe, Japan, China and are shipped here for assembly or are assembled in foreign countries and shipped here with American brand names. The entry level small Jeeps are made in Italy and shipped here. You might think you are buying a quality American made Jeep, but you would be incorrect. I don’t know how reliable Jeeps are these days, but a few clicks online and you can find out for yourself. Jeeps are a very popular brand of vehicle and people like having them.

I’ve bought Fords, Chryslers, Chevys, Toyotas, Nissans, they were all decent vehicles. My experience shows, buy what you like and that way you can put up with any problems that may occur.

One of these days, my driving will be over. I haven’t enjoyed it for more than a decade now, but I needed transportation. I don’t know how I will get by without it, but it will happen soon. Likely within a year. I’m sure I’ll miss it after a while. I haven’t yet calculated if not having a car, maintenance and insurance will save me money or cost me more. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment