Monday, August 22, 2022

220822 Thinking

I’m thinking about people who are destitute and living on the street.
There are as many reasons for that and they are all somewhat different. Veterans with PTSD are in the mix as are troubled teens and people with mental problems. One thing many elderly people worry about is outliving their savings. Had Joyce and I not sold the farm, we, now I alone would not be able to live in this apartment and be able to afford the rent. Will there come a time when I can no longer afford it? It could happen if I live long enough and funds run out. If we had not had good health insurance, we would have been destitute 5 years ago. There are a lot of ways to end up dirt poor. Rents and home prices can put people in a bind when they keep going up ever higher. I have been on my own since I was 18, but by the time I am 81 I may not have that luxury anymore. I don’t know if I’ll live long enough to find out. I do not ever want to be dependent on others for survival. That would not be good for me or them. I could probably get a low paying job, but that would not pay for rent, groceries, beer and smokes. So maybe I could get a small tent and a sleeping bag for the winter months, but personal safety could be a problem. I heard a saying long ago; it went like this, “Eat, drink and be happy, for tomorrow we may die.” Yes, that could happen to anyone, any time. Joyce woke up one morning 11 months ago, she went unconscious and died hours later. That being said, it’s time for a beer and a smoke for old uncle Billy.

No comments:

Post a Comment