Thursday, August 11, 2022

220811 The Bedside

It’s been almost a year at this point.
11 months ago, my life as I knew it, ended. Joyce woke up one morning and we were sitting having our coffee when she said, “Help me to my bed; I need to lay down.” Within a few moments she was unconscious and was near death before the ambulance got here to take her to the hospital. I knew that she was gone forever at that moment, but I did not want to accept the fact that I would never hear her voice again. I would never again get to hold her in my arms and kiss her.

I reflect back on the few months before she passed away; there were signs that something was wrong, but I either didn't realize it or could not accept it. Sitting by her bedside for the final hours of her worldly existence were the longest of my life. I held her hand as it progressively grew colder. My feeling of dread was overwhelming as the body of this once warm and vital woman I loved was slowly dying as I sat there beside her. That day and night with Joyce was my first time experiencing a life slowly ebb away.

At this time the cycle of birth and death goes on. The Alpha was here before mankind existed. The Omega will be here after mankind ceases to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment