Saturday, June 18, 2022

220618 WAR!

I see the shape our world is in and I find it distressing. There is always a war going on in places around the world. War never seems to end. It is impossible to win a war, because both sides lose soldiers and civilians. During World War Two there were more civilians killed than soldiers. That doesn’t seem possible, but it is true. I believe the USA has been in a constant war since the attack on Pearl Harbor. In a small way even before war was officially declared. Since then if we weren’t in a full scale shooting war we have been in a covert and not so covert war constantly.

I often wonder if those who declare war actually had to lead their troops into battle how many wars would be fought? The answer is not so many, if any at all. I wonder if all men were farmers, would there ever be a war? I do not think if mothers were running the world, that they would not start wars and send their sons and daughters into combat willy nilly as politicians do.

There is an old seventies song, “WAR” I thought was unpatriotic when I was serving in the navy during Vietnam. Now with the benefit of age I realize the song’s value, changing people’s mind on the Vietnam war and its death and destruction. I recognize the bravery of soldiers and marines and airmen in that war. Their war was in my humble opinion the most grueling, mind bending sacrifice in history. 58,000 never came home. Far more lives were changed forever with those families of returning veterans who could not adapt to the life they lived before Vietnam. I believe the war could have been won if the generals had full control of those under their command. Instead, the civilian war materials companies wanted this war to continue so they could fill their pockets. Those same companies owned our politicians who in turn kept the war going on for what was an eternity for those in combat. When the war was over, Vietnam returned to a new normal and it has done well, so why did the USA go in the first place? What was our gain? Was there any gain at all? Is the world any better off? Ask those whose name is on the wall of the Vietnam memorial in D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment