Thursday, February 24, 2022

220224 Sentinel, Biweekly, Bimonthly and Bisexual

I read the daily word from Merriam-Webster dictionary as part of my morning routine.
Most of the time the words are of no great value to me, but I enjoy reading them and learning the correct pronunciation.
I am always amazed at how we Americans do not pronounce words in our own language correctly. I am not going to change my pronunciation because it would sound like I didn’t know how to say a word properly if I used it the correct way.

Today’s word was actually two words, Biweekly and Bimonthly. The definition of those words is strange in that they can have different meanings and still be correct, though the person hearing one say that really may not understand which definition you are using.
Biweekly can mean an event happens every other week or two times a week. Bimonthly can mean every two months or two times every month. No wonder our language is difficult for immigrants to understand, we don’t understand it all of the time as in the case above.
All of this leads me to the next word which came to me as I read the definitions of Biweekly and Bimonthly. Bisexual, does that mean a person who has sex with men and women or does it mean a person who has sex two times a week? I remember when I was first married I was bisexual, trisexual and sometimes quadsexual with my beautiful bride. Try not to think about that for very long as you go through your day shaking your head and uttering euuu! Don’t blame me, it’s our language.

No comments:

Post a Comment