Wednesday, January 5, 2022

220105 Sentinel, Why?

Maybe you ask yourself why do I remember the bad things more than the good things?

Maybe you don’t but I do.

Coronado beach in winter of 1974.

I have done a lot of good things during my lifetime, but it’s the mistakes that haunt me. I always have trouble with this one; I could have bought a 2 bedroom bungalow on Coronado near the beach in 1974 for $35,000 and stayed there, but I wanted to be in Missouri close to family. A few years later people there were selling garages converted into homes for $350,000 on Coronado. Joyce and I would have been a lot better off financially.

Lake of the Ozarks.

This happened in 1975; I was working in my TV shop when I had a call from a woman who had a husband and they were living by the Lake of the Ozarks, not far from where Joyce and I were living. While I was working on their TV set the woman turned my head and kissed me. She was extremely attractive. I knew her husband because he owned a Ben Franklin store in town and he was a good man. He was by then in a wheelchair with an affliction and could do nothing. She was needing someone who could have sex with her. She offered me weekly sex every Wednesday at their other home in town. It was a tempting thought and I certainly had the energy for it, but I couldn't do that to Joyce or her husband. She stopped at the shop a few days later to remind me the offer was still open, but I had to decline a second time. That didn't happen to me but once in my lifetime. It would have been a nice arrangement for a while.

USS Enterprise center in this picture 1973 Tonkin gulf off Vietnam, I was aboard.

Once in 1973 onboard the USS Enterprise, I put two guys in my shop on report for sleeping on duty. They were warned 3 times before. That turned out to be a real shit storm. Both of their different squadron division officers harassed me to no end. Even my shop chief, who had instructed me not to allow sleeping in the shop, was calling me out about doing that. I still think about that from time to time. I believe I did the right thing, but it ended up badly for me and they likely got a slap on the wrist and went on. By that time I was on emergency leave home for the first time my father had a heart stroke and was dying. He later made it through and lasted until 1993, after he survived many other strokes.

In 1976, I facilitated mom and dad in moving to California, which is what they wanted to do. I thought it was a good thing to do for them. Some of my siblings, however, blamed me for coercing mom and dad into moving. I didn’t but they thought I did. Joyce and I also aided my mom and dad in moving back to Missouri in 1987 after they retired, but no one said, gee, that was nice.

Maybe I overthink things too much.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to your experience with never being able to make a sibling hsppy.
    Also - do uou by any chance recall a guy named Jim Shipman from the uS Enterprise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose then that we are in the same situation. I don't know for sure why I was in that fix, but I can deal with it. I do not recall that name, there were near 6,000 sailors on that ship. I was in the air group and if he was in ships company I would never meet him, unless we were on Shore patrol together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOW... I am behind on some of your blogs so I am just tonight getting to read this one,I hope you notice & get to read. First... The reason (and if you think about it I think you will see what I mean & agree) that you remember the bad things more than the good is because of where you had your education. You went to catholic school, and I believe that there are more ways that Catholics mourn than celebrate Catholicism, sadly it makes you look at things differently, but gladly it makes you look at things differently. It made you a better son, grandson, nephew, HUSBAND, GRANDFATHER and the smartest kindest most patient and understanding FATHER that I have ever known.... NOW I loved Coronado, but we got off that island just in time. I hope it's better but even a million dollar home will not change the fact that the place was crawling with child predators (I think most military bases probably have this issue on or very close to off base) they look for latchkey kids, the younger the better. on D Street we lived in the apartment over a real...lets say...if he is dead and you think that Dante had it correct, he would be in the 2 or maybe 7 on the rings of hell.. Now i'm not touching that t.v.repair story... NOW...YOU & MOM did more for your parents than ANY ANY of your siblings...they wanted to move to California (even though they couldn't afford it, they knew YOU would find a way to help them with the money)... AND... with all the money that Mimi & Steve made!!! They lived in a low-income apartment... that was just supposed to be for 1 person... And she sold her car so she wouldn't have to pay insurance on it...(or gas) ...because the bank she worked for supplied all their employees with yearly bus passes to get to work in downtown San Diego...and she didn't cook... she walked across the parking lot to get free dinner from your parents...almost every day...and with no kids to provide for... And I can't imagine how much money Steve was making!!! AND... AFTER ALL THAT... when your mother had to be put somewhere to be taken care of, without a blink of an eye or taking a breath to think about (not to mention that Joyce was already taking care of her mother at the time... and she was in a wheel chair) but she said ..."go get her...I will take care of her too...we have room for her and she will not be alone...not for one minute"...I KNOW BECAUSE I WAS THERE... and your siblings...what did they say??? NO... WAY... SHE STAYS HERE... and she did...in the basement of a hospital with no windows... and the stench of adult diapers & piss that stayed in my clothing all the way on the drive home...you and mom did good by a lot of people, including me and if I haven't said it lately ...thank you...you and mom are the kind of good people that other people could learn a LOT from...I love you very much, Annie

    ReplyDelete