Sunday, November 7, 2021

211107 Sentinel, New Life

Life Goes On No Matter What Happens

I still go to sleep at the same time each night, get up in the morning, have coffee, followed by breakfast and then later dive into that golden refreshing liquid which Ben Franklin said was proof that God loves us, that being beer.

That has been part of my life since 2007 when Litton/Northrop/Grumman closed the Springfield location and put everyone there out of work. It was devastating for so many folks here. They were good people and for the most part hard workers. Some had graduated high school on one end of Kearney street and went to work at the other end of the street at the Litton circuit board plant. They were there for 35 and 40 years and never had another job in their lifetime. I was lucky, the plant closed and I was just shy of 62 years old and able to file for Social Security and retire from that point on. I did look for other jobs, but being the age I was, paying jobs were not available to me.

And then after 14 years, my life as I knew it ended on the 14th of September 2021 when my beloved bride, companion, wife departed this life. As I stated at the beginning of this post, my life still goes on but with a giant hole of emptiness in my heart. My salvation comes from friends and family, some old and some new. They have been and are helping me continue on and they are much appreciated. The thing is, my daily life in the apartment Joyce and I lived in and shared is now a solivagant lifestyle 95% of the time. I used to wonder what life is for a monk living in a monastery who has taken a vow of silence is like. I wish Joyce was still here with me, but I have adapted and I am enjoying what life I have here, despite living alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment