Sunday, August 22, 2021

210822 Sentinel, Homophones, Mispronunciation, Puns

mobile theme

Homophones

Whether the weather is nice or whether the weather is not determines whether we dress for good or bad weather. Whether and weather are homophones as are perhaps hundreds more. Some quick examples are knew and new, mail and male, pain and pane, tail and tale.

Mispronunciation

I read Merriam-Webster’s word of the day and I am also astounded by how we mispronounce so many words. Look at this word, liminal and how would you pronounce it? If you said: LIM-UH-NUL you got it right. It means something barely perceptible. Here’s another word from this week, sophistry and how would you pronounce it? If you said SAH-FUH_STREE you are correct. I like this word; it means reasoning or arguments that sound correct but which they are not.

Puns

Puns are fun.
“I was wondering why the ball was getting bigger, then it hit me!”
“Never trust an atom, they make up everything.”
“Getting the ability to fly, would be so uplifting.”
“I bought a boat, because it was for sail.”

1 comment: