Sunday, December 20, 2020

The Sentinel, Hope, Happiness and Sugar 201220

The Sentinel

All the news that's fit to print and some that's not.

Hope


No matter how you slice it, if you want a happy life, you must have hope. A person who loses hope hits rock bottom in short order. That is when his/her life becomes one drop of misery after another until the flood gate opens and he/she drowns metaphorically. I’ve been close more than once, so I do have an idea of how dark things can seem to be.

Happiness


I believe that everyone wants to be happy and those who are not happy like to spread their sour misery around like butter on toast. We Americans unfortunately live in a materialistic society. I have been wrapped up in that materialism mode during my lifetime. I bought new cars that I could not afford, a motorcycle, televisions, stereos, computers, homes. I was following the crowd, the unhappy crowd. The more a person wants, the unhappier they become.

I’ve been with poor people who were happy and rich people who never were happy. The fact is: happiness comes from within, not from without. I can say right now that I have far less than I had before and yet during the last five years I am more satisfied and happier than before. When I had a lot of money and possessions I had far too much to worry about losing. I would go to work every day and worry that someone would break into my home and take all my stuff. Now I don’t have anything to worry about losing, except for the woman I have loved for the last 56 years. That would break my heart.

Sugar


I know that eating grain is part of a good diet. I discovered that even oatmeal is good if I put enough sugar with it.

Sugar on oatmeal to improve it is a metaphor for life. If one adds a little sugar into someone else's life every day, one will find his/her own life is improved and he/she has more spice in his/her own life. That qualifies as a win-win situation and there is no cost to either person.

My favorite quote from Elwood P Dowd is. “In this life you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”




No comments:

Post a Comment