Thursday, December 31, 2020

Sentinel, Ugly, Bad and Good 201231

This photo courtesy of Life Magazine 1947, smallpox vaccinations.

The Sentinel

All the news that's fit to print and some that's not.

The Ugly


What appears to be one of the worst years of our lives is rapidly coming to an end.


That doesn’t mean that everything will change overnight. It will take time to change, but I do see a light at the end of this dark tunnel and it is not the light on a train that is going to run over me and remove me from this existence.

I have no doubt next year will be better, if enough people get the vaccine for Covid-19.


The Bad



The fact that so many restaurants have closed or are open for carryout only is disheartening to me, but here is some reference to our current situation.

We have had a similar situation before. Joyce and I remember the first Taco Bell restaurant ever was in San Diego and all there was then was takeout. There was no seating inside. McDonalds opened during our early years and it was all takeout, no inside dining. Steak and Shake had a parking lot so you could eat in your car, but no inside facilities. White Castle hamburger chain had no inside dining. They were tiny buildings where you walked up to a window and ordered food. The hamburgers were a nickel! During my high school days I had to take two city busses. The first stop had a White Castle on the corner and I had one every day after school while I waited for the next bus to take me within three blocks of my home.


The Good


Good things can and do happen at the worst of times. One night we were coming home when a deer jumped out in front of us. I tried to dodge him, but he jumped right back into our car, triggering air bags when we collided. That filled the car with smoke and the bags raked the skin off my arms and Joyce had two black eyes along with some scraped skin. The good part was people we didn’t even know stopped to see if they could help us.

One time I was driving home from work in an unpredicted snowstorm. I had just thought I cleared my last hurdle and was going to make it home safely when the truck did a 360 degree spin out and deposited me in a deep ditch that I could not get out of on that snowy afternoon. The good came when within minutes some woman I barely knew came up and stopped on the highway and picked me up and took me to our small town and I got a tow truck to pull me out of the ditch.

Good people make good things happen. They are all around us every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment