Monday, November 30, 2020

The Sentinel, Self Help 201130


      I hope this post will possibly engage you to make a course change in your life.

      At one time earlier in my life I read a lot of what were called self help books. My thinking was that I could always be better than what I was at the time. The self help books never helped me, but the authors made some money so the books did help them.
      That phase ended for decades until this year. I started doing yoga the first of January. I had an old illustrated book on yoga that I had purchased 20 years ago and never paid much attention to it. That led me to meditation. Meditation led me to YouTube videos of “Ted Talks” which have so many brilliant people speaking on many different subjects. Some of them are about consciousness and changing one’s thinking to make a better life for themselves.
      There was an old Saturday Night Live segment with a comedian that practiced his positive affirmations. They were made to be funny back then, but in just the last two weeks I have started using them and I can say that they do work. My thoughts are more positive and upbeat. I know that sounds so simple and silly, but the simple solutions do work better than complex plans.
      I make no claim to being a perfect human being at this point, or even claim to be an enlightened one, but having a path toward a goal does give life a nice boost. Dream of the person you would like to be and work in that direction. Don’t worry that you could never get there, just work in that direction. I may sound like some self help person and I am not, but this late in life I am heading toward a goal and whether I ever get there is not as important as making an effort to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment