Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Sentinel, 3 of My Most Embarrasing Moments

The Sentinel

All the news that's fit to print and some that's not.

Grandma Mickey and the Whitehouse


I had just purchased my first personal computer a few months before Joyce’s mother (grandma Mickey) drove down to the farm to visit for a week or so. I was still learning all the things the computer could do. Grandma Mickey did not like president William Jefferson Clinton at all. She went on for 2 days complaining about him. I finally asked, “why tell me about him?” I then said, “if you want we can email the Whitehouse and let them know what you think. You tell me and I will type and send it to the Whitehouse.”

Grandma Mickey was fine with that, so she verbalized her thoughts and I typed them and then the horrible thing happened. I was so proud I could do that and as I finished I said, “watch this how fast it happens.” Click, click, click went the keys and the address was there Whitehouse.com (do not go to that website) I did not know at the time that it should have been Whitehouse,gov.

Well to my utter shock and embarrassment, Whitehouse.com was a poronographic site. The pictures of naked women started popping up tremendously fast. I kept hitting the delete key, but the pictures kept popping up no matter what I did. I finally shut the computer off to stop the madness. Grandma Mickey looked at me and said, “it’s okay, that’s what he has turned the Whitehouse into.”



First Duty Aboard Ship


My first day and first assignment aboard any ship in uncle Sam’s navy was when the first class petty officer in the shop told me to make a pot of coffee. We had one of those huge 1-2 gallon pots. I asked, “where do I get the water?” He simply said, “down the passageway.” I knew that big coffee pot would not go under a regular faucet, but I saw a deep sink along the passageway, so I filled the pot with water and went back to the shop, put in coffee and plugged it in.

Everyone was standing and waiting for it to finish. The 20 year career first class couldn’t wait until it was completely done, so he took his cup in hand ( a hand that was permanently curled up in a shape that fit a coffee mug) and he filled his cup. He took a huge gulp of hot coffee and swallowed it; then he asked, “where did you get the water?” I replied, “out of the deep sink down the passageway.” His next statement was, “that’s salt water. Pour this out and get the water from the shower.” He said that as he refilled his cup with that saltwater coffee.

Training


Every aircrewman in the navy has to go through escape, evasion and survival training. I went through mine in Hawaii. At the end of survival you have to go to a mock prison camp run by some sadistic marines in my case. We were put in a dusty dirty area surrounded by barbed wire atop high fences. There was a requirement that when an air raid siren went off every prisoner had to run to a survival shelter that was just a dusty pit in the ground with some galvanized metal over it. The first night prisoners had to take an outdoor shower with very, very cold water. I thought I was so smart because I could see right through this and knew surely at some point some unlucky guy was going to be in that shower and the siren would go off and he would have to go running across the compound naked and be in that dusty pit. I waited to see who it would be. There were about 50 of us there and we each had a prisoner number that had to be shouted out so the guards could count and know when everyone had their shower. I was the last one and by that time I thought I was wrong and it wouldn’t happen. Well I was wrong because I was just soaked down, dripping wet when the air raid siren went off, so I had to run across the filthy compound and into one of the dusty shelters, naked as the day I was born. There I was the only naked guy in a large group of other men. It was to put it mildly, awkward.



No comments:

Post a Comment