Wednesday, October 14, 2020

A Sentinel Story, 201014


This is an exact picture of my car, so you can see what I am writiing about below.

      
      I had a doctor’s appointment for a checkup this morning in Springfield at 8 am, the worst time to get into anywhere in the medical center area. I was going down the James River freeway to get there. The speed limit was 60, but in Springfield a speed limit seems to be regarded as a suggestion because everyone was exceeding it by a large amount. It’s as though they think if they are arriving 10 seconds later they are going to miss something important at the watercooler.
      I was approaching the National Street exit and was encased in a fast moving line of cars. The long exit ramp was filled and cars were backed up onto the side lane prior to the exit. That must have been when the first driver hit his brakes hard. That caused all of those approaching the exit ramp to slam on their brakes. It was telegraphed back down the line and getting worse as it progressed. Picture an accordion when it is fully open there is a lot of space between the ribs, but as the musician closes it the top says open wider than the bottom. The two cars in front of me started going sideways, forcing me to do so too and I glanced in the rearview mirror to find the car behind me was doing the same. I thought I was going to be sandwiched sideways between at least two cars.
      You might imagine that I broke a cold sweat in a matter of a second or two and you would be correct. That put me on edge the rest of the way to the doctor’s office and all the way home. The temperature on my way home was 78, with full sunshine on the car; I had all the windows rolled up and I was still cold as a Mackerel.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment