Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Internet and Wifi

The Sentinel

All the news that's fit to print and some that's not.

Internet


I go way back with internet, so far back all there was available was dial-up service; it was horrific back then, plus it was a toll call so it added a lot to my land line phone bill.

Dial-up worked at approximately 100,ooo bits per second and the wait times were awful! The adds took forever to finish so I coulkd do something.

The came 3-G service at uowards of 1,000,000 bits per second on a good day. That was still not enough to watch a Netflix show without multiple buffering times. Then I got a wifi hotspot through AT&T and that made things beter with 20,000,000 bit downloads but I only got 5 giga-bytes of data before the extra charges came rolling in, costing me a small fortune. I had to quit Netflix and updates on my windows computer put me way over my monthly allot making ne pay meor and more every month.



Internet Continued


We left the farm and our new abode had cable TV and internet available. I was still paying a lot for the internet service and only getting 10,000,000 downloads but it was unlimited, somewhat slow and sometimes not available at all. And while the downloads on wifi were much lower than that it didn't make any difference if there was no internet at all.

We moved again and now have very high-speed internet on the order of 7,000,000 bits per second but here's the deal: the wifi router will take in the 7 million bits per second, but only feeds out 1,000,000 bits per second. Most wifi routers are that way even though they profess to be 1,000,000,000 bit routers. The output is closer to 1,000,000 bits. Then when a person uses wifi for distributing signals through the home they are much less than that.

Wifi Routers


The wifi signals are low-power and the distance away from the router severely affects the signal you get in rooms further away from where the router is placed. In my case, I had the router in my living room, and the next room over behind 2 walls I had 20-30 million bit downloads even though the rpouter was putting out 100 million bits per second. The solution was to run an ethernet cable from the incoming service to the home into my office just 1.5 fet from my office computer and now I have 70-80 million bits per second where I need the speed. If some of this sounds like a foreign language to you, I believe you can still understand the basics and improve whaterev service you may have.

This internet business was in its infancy until after I retired and I have lost some education I once had, but I am slowly re-learning things I need to know.

I hope this will help you get a handle of your service and improve your experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment