Monday, July 20, 2020

The Sentinel, old Memories 200720

The Sentinel

All the news that's fit to print and some that's not.

Radio Flyer


I was perhaps 10 years old when I was at a friend's home. He lived a block behind church, down a steep hill. It was winter and there was snow and ice down that hill. We were on an old Radio Flyer wagon going down the alley. The wagon was unable to be steered on the ice. At the bottom of the hill there was a steel pole and we were were headed right at it. He saw it coming and he rolled off just before hitting the pole, but me being behind him I had no chance to do so and I ended up with a big knot on my forehead and a bloody nose. After what are friends for but to warn you of a danger?




Coyote Run


On the farm, there was a coyote run that came by just a hundred or so feet from the house. In the winter their howls were haunting as they passed by every night. It was funny though because they started far away and the dogs on other farms would howl and bark all along the way the coyotes ran. I would hear the dogs far away before the coyotes because the dogs at the top of the hill were audible before the coyotes crested the hill. I miss that now, but life changes every day, week, month and year.



Great Uncle Chet


Chet never had a 9 to 5 job. He, great aunt Florence and their 2 sons lived in a 4 family flat with nothing but a cold water tap in the kitchen. Chet had an old Plymouth station wagon that he used to drive down alleys and pick up scrap iron for cash and the family lived and ate fish he caught, pigeons he trapped at a nearby school and the back yard of the flat (leading to the outhouses) had chickens in the yard. Every Sunday a chicken gave up its life (not willingly) for Sunday dinner. They would come to our home for my birthday and not having any money Chet would bring a puppy or a pigeon for me. I loved those little critters, but they always disappeared the day after I got them. How does a tiny puppy with 3 inch legs get away? I think I know now, but never figured it out back in my childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment