Thursday, January 23, 2020

The Bay and beyond 200123

      Joyce and I both have fond memories of San Diego during our navy time there. Below is a recent picture of the bay, a lot different than when we were there. The lower part is the San Diego side of the bay and the upper part is North Island where I was stationed.



      On the right side of the picture you can see where the bay opens into the Pacific Ocean. All ship traffic passes through there. My memory goes to being right there sitting on the "round down" at the back of the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk, watching San Diego until it disappeared over the horizon and thinking about how long it was going to be before I saw Joyce again. It's a fond memory now of a sad time.

      There is a song we both love titled: "Sitting on the dock of the bay." I have it on several of my music playlists. Whenever it comes on we both think of San Diego. Me remembering working on North Island and Joyce remembering her sitting on the dock of the bay waiting for me to get off work and cross the bay on the old "Nickel Snatcher" boats. She would sit there listening to the WolfMan Jack show on the radio.

      Our last 10 years in California Joyce and I both had good jobs, made more money than any other time in our lives and got to have what Joyce still describes as her "WOW" home. It wasn't just the jobs, we had a wonderful time there, had some great friends. We are still in contact with many of them. The engineering meetings after work were okay, but the parties afterward were wonderful! Kevin, Gary, Jeff and I had some legendary times at those parties. Working in the product engineering department was interesting, developing and bringing the company's new products to life was a sense of pride in our work. Our engineering lab was shared with the memory chip development lab and there I met and worked with Steve, one of the most laid-back yet sober guys around. We are still in contact too.

      My work in engineering was under the supervision of an engineer named Ted, a very smart engineer and we are still in contact. I should also mention Roy, a supervisor in the data processing department. He helped me get into computer maintenance and was another good guy to work with. We are still in contact. It is a wonderful thing to still be friends and in contact with those mentioned above 33 years after I left the company. There are no more people that I can say that about. I will say that with friends from my Litton days, we are still are still in contact after 13 years and I am happy about that.

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2026 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment