Friday, January 24, 2020

Music then and now 200124

      I must admit that I am not a music critic or a student of music. I just know what I like and that's what is here in this post. I include some history here as I understand it.

      Most people alive today do not remember the 1950's, but I do. One things that strikes me is the origin of rock and roll music. It did not just appear out of thin air. Quite the contrary, it had it's beginning with country music. The fifties, unlike the forties with big bands and wonderful singers, the fifties arrived with slow melodies and singers to match.

      In the early fifties, along came what was termed rock-a-billy. It was a mixture of country music with rhythm and blues. Rock-a-billy rapidly became popular, perhaps because the regular radio tunes, while okay, could put people to sleep. Without rock-a-billy there may not have been rock and roll, who knows?

      Long about 1957, a young man from Tupelo, Mississippi by the name of Elvis Presley arrived on the national scene. His music later took the world by storm and that music was to me the beginning of classic rock and roll. Rock and roll became a giant in the industry. This below is, in my mind, the man who made it happen, Elvis.



Rock held sway until the late seventies and early eighties when the heavy metal music became so popular. Hip-hop music began in the Bronx, New York in the seventies, but I never heard much about it until much later, so I am not sure when its popularity spread and spread it did. Hip hop may be on top; I do not know one way or another.

      This man in the picture below is/was Sam Cooke. He had some of the best and biggest hits in the sixties. I still listen to to his songs today. He was called the godfather of soul and listening to him, I agree.



      I have many country singers that I think are great, so that makes it difficult to decide on my absolute favorite. My choice goes to Alan Jackson, based on the fact I have more of his music than any other. His picture is below.



      There are countless hip hop artists and I must admit I do not have expertise here, so I will go with the one I like more than the many, perhaps more popular artists. His name is Bruno Mars and like his music. His picture is below.



      Joyce and I listen to all kinds of music, but my favorite is country music. It has changed a lot since the fifties and for the better I believe. I realize I am in the minority with that opinion; but I've been there before, in fact most of the time.

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2026 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment