Saturday, December 7, 2019

Looking back on my navy time 191207

      This first picture below is Singapore at night.



      The picture below is Tokyo at night.



      My time in the navy many years ago was a boon in my life. It wasn't all fun and games, though I experienced things and places that I would never have known. I learned electronics in the navy and was able to support my family the rest of my working life from that. I got to be an electronics instructor for 3.5 years in the navy.

      These are some of the places I saw, Singapore, Japan, Philippines, Guam, Hawaii, Midway Island, Wake Island and Vietnam. I got to see cities in the USA that I would likely never see or go to on my own, including San Diego, San Francisco,Long Beach, Point Mugu,Coronado, in California Brunswick, in Georgia, Memphis, Millington, Jackson, in Tennessee, New York City,in New York, Chicago, In Illinois, Philadelphia, King of Prussia, Tredyfferin, in Pennsylvania, Manila, Olongapo, Cavite, in the Philippines, Atsugi, Tokyo, Youkosuka, in Japan Brandywine, Wilmington, in Delaware.

      Singapore was a delight. Me being a history buff I immediately headed for the Raffles Hotel so I could sit on the veranda with the huge slow turning fans and looking out at was then still a garden area all the while sipping on Singapore Slings, just like British officers and diplomats did before WW-2. I went shopping in the alley markets crowded with shoppers from around the world and seeing things I have never seen since. It was fun going to supper at the Car Park restaurant after dark. Downtown business skyscrapers surround this huge parking area and after late afternoon when the offices closed,the vendors would move in and create perhaps the biggest restaurant anywhere in the world. There were foods I never heard of and they were delicious!

      Japan was where I oddly felt right at home like I had once lived there. We flew into Atsugi several times and it was a nice homey place. Aboard ship we went several times to Yokosuka, the biggest harbor in Japan. Night life there was more harried than Atsugi but a lot of fun. Tokyo was beyond compare. That is if you spoke Japanese, if not you just had to observe the whole action. As long as I could say Asahi or Sapporo I could get a beer.

      Hong Kong was not as developed in my days there, but it was an enjoyable place to see, to eat and just being able to see how people there lived and laughed. Not being a navy town as such I saw how the real people lived. Kowloon was fun playing soccer in the street with teenagers there. Those kids shellacked us. Lately I would not want to be there, but it was fine back then.

      Vietnam was not a happy place when I was there, but it seems to be better these days. Many vets have taken their families back there to show them the country.

      I know people here today that rarely ever left this state or at least not any further than a day's round-trip drive from here. I feel that is sad for them to miss out on seeing exotic places and people.

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment