Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Things that go bump in the night

      You may or may not believe this. It occurred back on the farm.



       It was 2:30 in the morning when I heard a radio playing close by; so I had some concern. It’s not uncommon for me to hear what appears to be an ever so faint sound of music in the distance as sound will travel for miles in the cool quiet night on the farm, but this sounded like it was right in the yard.

      I jumped out of bed and peered into the darkness looking for the source of the music. I couldn’t tell if it was night blindness or just sleepy eyes but I couldn’t see a thing in the blackness of the night. I listened for any sound at all. Something told me if it was bad guys they would make some kind of noise getting their Jimmy bars out of their truck or whispering their nefarious plans for breaking into my home. There was no sight or sound to detect out of the south window so I bumped my way down the hallway toward the east window. My stumbling made more noise than the potential intruders but searching out the west window showed me nothing but shadowy stillness. Ah ha, I thought. They’re parked out on the road, or are hiding the car/truck behind the shrub and tree lined fence at the north east corner of the property, so I moved down the hall toward the west windows. I had a flashlight available, but that would have alerted them of my presence and ruined my limited night vision. I pulled back the curtain and began staring into the blackness hoping to see some murky shadowy movement to locate them, whoever they were. My eyes never blinked and I tried in vain to hear anything at all as I looked out the window.

      Suddenly an extremely bright light appeared in the south eastern sky! It was quite a distance from me, some miles away. It was as bright as a jet airliner’s landing lights, even bigger, but it was perfectly still in the sky. It seemed to be scanning the landscape. Several minutes later it began to move in my direction. Slowly, silently it approached over several more minutes until it was right over the yard, hovering as still as a grave but 20 feet in the air. The light wasn’t a spotlight or a landing light but a pure white glow similar to the white light a scanner uses to copy a document. Then in a flash the sound of music came back with a vengeance and I knew they were tuned to the John Tesh radio show just as I had been listening to before I went to bed. The light snapped off and by the time my night vision began to recover they were gone. They had approached in absolute silence, snapped on the radio almost like a signal or a beacon and then vanished into the night sky. Then as I sat on my bed I had to wonder just what it was that I saw?

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment