Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Music

      Joyce and I were listening to old songs today. we currently have 13,637 songs along with some others in CD form that I haven't put on the computer yet. That sounds obscene to me, but probably minimal to other music collectors I know.



      One of the songs was from the band 'Credence Clear Water Revival' song about muddy water. It took me back to my childhood days. I was raised fishing on the back waters of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. I no longer have a desire to fish anymore. The places where we fished are all polluted now. I never liked fishing in deep water. My aunt Irene (born and raised in Calhoun county, Illinois) was famous in the family for her prowess cooking over an open fire on early mornings on backwater sloughs of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. As my mother said, "Irene could make coffee in a bean can and it tasted wonderful." She could also cook eggs, bacon and anything else over those open fires. I was not big on eating anything when I was a kid, but just writing this makes me salivate for her cooking.

      Thinking about those days reminds me of my uncle Tom. My uncle Tom was a man's man and he loved to hunt up in Calhoun county. He kept the family in meat during the great depression. I suppose that's where he met Irene. For cash money during the depression he used to cross the river into Illinois and play poker. He was also very good at that. He was a small man like my grandfather (his father) and Tom was great at sports. He was a good football running back, but being so short and lightweight he couldn't get any scholarships for college. Playing cards he could keep track of every card played and who played it.

      I went hunting with my dad one time. I didn't care for the cold and snowy weather and carrying what was a heavy shotgun for me as a young boy. I have never been hunting since.

      Writing this reminded me, one time my dad gave me a set of Chinese metric sockets and Allen type wrenches, I suppose they came from Walmart in their early days. I did not appreciate them at the time, but now with everything made in metrics from China I have fount that set quite useful and I think of his gift every time I use them.

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment