Saturday, May 4, 2019

Stories that give one something to think about 190504

      Stories with rhyme and meter are a wonderful thing. The picture below is one Alfred Lord Tennyson, a master story teller.



      These are my thoughts below.

      I enjoy reading poetry
      it does something for me
      poetry tells me a story about someone's day
      and that story affects me in a special way
      they are sharing with me an intimate detail of their life
      that may be a happy event or something fraught with strife
      the best stories are ones that I can visualize as the story is told
      no matter if it's about a baby bird or a day that's dreadfully cold
      I read a poem and see things in a different way
      it gives me something to think about during my day
      the poets I liked were hard to find
      those poets have affected my mind

      Alfred Tennyson, with his mastery in "The charge of the light brigade" is an excellent expose of what happens in war.
      Robert Frost with his story "Stopping by woods on a snowy evening" is a wonderful thing to dream about.
      Robert W. Service with his "The cremation of Sam McGee" is a light-hearted romp through a deadly serious event.
      My good friend Ted sent me a book "100 best poems from the Chinese" available on Amazon, the poems are so visual in the way they are written I can see them unfolding as I read them. It is as if I were there beside the poet as he wrote his story.
      
      
Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment