Sunday, April 14, 2019

Why does fire produce light?

      I was awake at 5:40 this morning, put on a pot of coffee and went back into the bedroom. It was dark, Joyce was still sleeping.



      I sat there in the dark and lit up a cigarette. The thought occurred to me, why does the match produce light? I never gave that a thought before. I know you physics students have the answer already, but I believe most of us normal people do not know why. I started thinking, the sun makes light, batteries in flashlights make light. Thinking about the sun, it is very hot, but a flash light is not so hot, so what is the answer?
      I then did what any other person might do; I consulted the wizard of all knowledge, the internet, specifically using the key words why does fire produce light and then I had the answer.
      In its simplest form as I understand it, fire and light is a chemical reaction. Heat causes carbon atoms and other atoms to release from the material. When a spark hits the combination of free carbon atoms and oxygen, fire and light ensues. With a match, the sand on the striking surface causes friction and heat against the red phosphorus; that heat turns the red into white phosphorus which is so volatile that when it hits the oxygen in the air it bursts into flame. A light bulb is slightly different. It doesn't ignite in a flame. The tungsten filament is coiled to produce a high resistance to current flow and when that current is forced to flow it produces tremendous heat which makes the filament to glow. The reason it does not burst into flame is because the glass is filled with inert gasses, which do not burn.
      It's a good thing that fire produces light. If it did not do so we could get burned by walking close by a fire. Without light from a fire it would be more difficult to put one out.
      My wording may not be precise, but the idea is correct.

Copyright Bill Weber 2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment