Sunday, February 3, 2019

I turned on the "way back machine" this morning.


      Searching back in my memory this morning I was remembering the night I met Joyce 56 years ago.

      She was wearing blue velvet. Bluer than velvet was the night. Softer than velvet was the light, from the stars.
      On our next date, we had a quarrel, a lover's spat. I gave a letter to the postman; he put it in his sack. But the very next morning, he brought my letter back. Joyce wrote upon it, return to sender, address unknown, no such person, no such zone. The next day, I took it myself and I put it in her hand. I knew then, if it came back, then I'd understand.
      A few months later, we were going to the chapel and we were going to get married. Gee I really loved her and we were going to get married, going to the chapel of love. Winter was there, but the skies were blue. We were singing because we knew; we were going to say "I do" and we'd never be lonely anymore.
      The navy had something to say about that, with a few cruises that made us lonely for periods of time; but then... We were together again, my tears had stopped falling, the long lonely nights, were then at an end. The key to my heart, she held in her hand and nothing else mattered, we were together again. 56 years later we are still together, practically joined at the hip. Nothing else matters as long as we are together till the end.
      With my little composition this morning I have to thank Bobby Vinton for his song "Blue Velvet." Elvis Presley for his song "Return to Sender." The Dixie Cups for "Chapel of love." Buck Owens for his song "Together again." Oddly enough, those songs mentioned and used in my post actually mirrored those times in our life together. It could be that is why I remember them so frequently.

Copyright Bill Weber 2018 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment