Thursday, January 17, 2019

Memories 190117


      These synapses in the picture below connect our brain's neurotransmitters that make our ability to remember things work the way they do.

      We seem to remember the big events in our life rather easily. Those events seem to be locked in our brain as long as we continue to breathe, but what about the little things we have done all of our lives?
      In grade school we learned things by repetition, learning the times tables, the alphabet, addition, subtraction, division, practicing writing as print and in cursive. We still remember those things today; well I am not as good with basic math as I once was. I could at one time do complete math in my head, but these days I need a piece of paper and a pencil.
      Now here is where I begin to wonder. I worked all my life doing basically the same things over and over. For years at a time I would repair the same electronic devices, troubleshoot the same things, drive to the same place every day but now remember only bits and pieces. Point in fact, I drove from Ash Grove to Litton in Springfield and returned on the same route for 20 years; I knew every turn, landmark, even houses and trees. A month ago I went from Springfield to Ash Grove and every mile I drove was like the first time I had been there.
      I don't believe my brain is much different than anyone else's brain. So why do I not have memories of menial tasks I performed so many thousands of times?

Copyright Bill Weber 2018 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment