Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Angels in our lives 181204



      Some people, like family, are in our lives forever. Some friends are with us for decades and we still love them. There are others who are with us sometimes for a single day or even a few hours, yet we remember them for years or even decades because in that short time they did something that had a dramatic effect on our lives.
      I was in the hospital for brain surgery many years ago. The night of the surgery I was placed in intensive care and the nurse I had was a mature woman that was so nice to me I was astonished by her kindness. Joyce was there for a long time, because we had left home in the early morning hours for my MRI. Then we went directly to the emergency room and we were there for all of the rest of the morning and Joyce was with me until I went into surgery at about 7:30 pm and Joyce stayed until much later that night until I was out of recovery and into the ICU. Joyce was very stressed and tired by then and the nurse came in and told Joyce to go home for the night and to call her at the nurse's station so she could tell me that Joyce was home safely. The nurse stayed with me most of the night we talked and she even held my hand for a very long time (ICU nurses never hang around for more than a few minutes). She said she had to go home, so I asked her if she would be back on duty the next night. She said she would not be there. The next morning there were new nurses and they were nice, but nothing like that woman was. I asked the day nurses as they came through and none of them knew her name or what I was even talking about.
      Last year when Joyce was taken by helicopter to the Saint Louis hospital, Annie and I had to drive up there. We got there about 12:30 in the morning. We walked into intensive care and the nurse was in Joyce's room. He said his name was Max and that Joyce was in stable condition. He was so nice and caring. Annie and I had nothing to eat all afternoon and evening, so we asked Max if there was somewhere in the hospital where we could get a snack at that late hour. He said yes and he would take us there; he took us to the cafeteria and said he was leaving. We never saw Max again and in the month we were in and out of ICU he was never there again, the other nurses were there on a regular rotation for the day shift and night shift, we knew them all. And when I asked about Max, no one knew who he was.
      Now I believe those of you reading this may not think this is anything but pure circumstance, but I think both nurses were actually angels.
Copyright Bill Weber 2018 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment