Saturday, September 1, 2018

I am an incredibly average man



      I am an imperfect human in a world of imperfect humans. I am an average human in a world of more than six billion average humans. I cannot change the world as others may do, so what can I do? I along with my fellow humans can at least strive not to add to the sorrow and grief in our world.
      I have been moved by Wednesday's eulogies for Senator McCain and today's further eulogies for a great man, John McCain. I tried to think about how I might have some connection to this man. I think we all want to compare ourselves to great people; I think it is a natural thing for human beings to do.
      All I could come up with was one, we both served aboard aircraft carriers during the Vietnam war, and two we were both raised in very strong families. That second thing may be our strongest connection. Joyce and I were both raised by great, strong men and women that have shaped our entire lives. While we are not even contention with the many great people who have shaped this country, we have lived with the benefits of their service.
      We have had the joy of knowing so many people who were strong and more close to being great Americans than we. Our parents lived and served in the great depression (every time I think about that I chuckle about how any depression can be called great.) Our parents and families lived through the depression and served in World War Two and lessons learned and lived by them shaped our lives.
      It is my hope that our current generation of young men and women will be better and do better than we ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment