Monday, September 24, 2018

Chemicals 180924



      The image above is the chemical form of triclormethane. It is a very hazardous chemical used at one time in the manufacture of circuit boards as a cleaning agent. I remember at Litton the ladies in final inspection used it with gusto to clean boards. They used it without gloves or without breathing equipment. It causes cancer. Some of the guys working on clean lines there used to get high smelling it, (or so I was told). I just saw an article in Forbes magazine that stated the Google buildings in silicon valley are emitting fumes from triclor from previous spills that are in the ground below them. There have been many people from Litton that have died very unusually young and I believe it was from inhaling the fumes from dangerous chemicals. My good friend Kevin from our California days at Burroughs told me a few years ago that people that worked at the Carlsbad circuit board plant also died young. I remember going there to work several times and the fumes were horrific!
      I remember my mother and many women back in the fifties used a combination of chlorine beach and amonia to clean floors. That combination emits chlorine gas which was used to kill soldiers in WW-1. I almost lost my mother from using that combination and never knew it until years later when she shared a story about passing out while cleaning using that combination on a bathroom floor.
      Some chemicals are very good, like Na Cl (salt) and H2O (water), while others like Hf (hydro-floric acid) is not. I used to use that at Burroughs to etch glass on Integrated Chip wafers, never knowing how bad that one was. I was lucky in my 20 years at Litton because the engineer (Dale Murry) had us working in a closed lab with positive air flow, meaning that air flowed out our doors keeping all those dangerous chemicals out of our laboratory. For a long time our lab was right beside the oxide plating line which had a hideous aroma.
      Today Joyce decided it was time to utilize our self cleaning oven. The fumes were terrible from the start, so I opened the windows and doors and used fans to blow all those fumes out rather than breathing them for several hours. The human body seems to be equipped to detect hazardous odors and tells us to get away from them. It is unfortunate that going into a large public restroom there is no way to avoid the methane gas prominent in human waste. I can only hold my breath for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment