Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Armed forces induction in the past, 1963-1969


      The picture below is me in boot camp about 5 weeks into training, after we left the WW-2 barracks. I wish I had learned more there than I did. You might notice I was a lot thinner in those days, thinner than any of you will remember.

      The first video link below the 4th picture is entertaining and perhaps some idea of army boot camp in 1969.
Here are a few snapshots from it.
      The snapshot below of the toilets in army at Fort Dix is what we in the navy had at the beginning of boot camp in Great Lakes. No privacy at all.

Getting drafted in the army in 1969
      I was never in the marine corps, but I would guess any marine who was would call the following video, not exactly how things went in boot camp.
       Marine corps propaganda video about boot camp this is 1966.
      Flight ops This short video features newer aircraft carriers along with the jewels of my day, Saratoga, Independence and the venerable Kitty Hawk, # 60, 62 and 63. I really enjoyed working on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk for 2 cruises. I am proud of what I did. My last cruise on the Enterprise I worked in the radio and navigation equipment repair shop so I didn't get a lot of sunshine on that cruise. The upside was not working on the flight deck in the middle of the night. As dangerous as the flight deck was in the daytime, it was worse at night. Working in total darkness with a small flashlight with a red lens was very little light to go by especially with dozens of aircraft moving all around the deck. The deck is 5 acres of steel, but with 60-70 planes on deck and moving that does not leave much room for the guys working there.
      This admonition below is from the flight ops video.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment