Sunday, April 15, 2018

Funny how my memory works 1804

       Sometimes the simplest thing brings back a memory from many years ago.
        Today with the wind blowing like there may not be a tomorrow, I was thinking about when we went camping some 57 years ago. We had just a tent and the wind is horrible on tents. It is scary in a tent with high winds blowing all around and all you have is 4 tent pegs holding down your temporary home.
       That reminded me of a day when my daughter Annie and I were at the I-44 swap meet in Springfield. We were roaming around when I saw a garden cart for a good price. Annie said to get it, but me being frugal or rather being indecisive, said I would think about it. We continued on until I saw apples sold by the bushel. That was before I had my own trees and I wanted to buy a bushel of them. Annie said, “Go back and get the cart and then you need not carry all those apples, just pull the cart.” I did and that winter I had enough apples canned for the best apple pies ever!
       The old cart at the swap meet reminded me of many years ago, 41 to be exact, we were leaving Camdenton, Mo. for San Diego. We had a 3 week long moving sale that did very well for the time back then. As things sold off, I knew we had to have a lot of things viewable in the yard to bring people in to shop. I headed back into the woods behind the house to our junk pile just to have things in the yard. The weird thing was the things I thought were absolute junk that no one would want were the things that sold first and for good money. We even sold a huge pile of lumber that had been removed from a 1930’s motel that the previous owner had razed to the ground and hauled home. The lumber was all decades old oak that was so seasoned it was impossible to drive a nail into without drilling a pilot hole.
       Today I had to look at my calendar and this came to mind. I must have been at most 10 years old when I asked my mother how many days were in June? Her reply:
30 days hath September
April June and November
All the rest have 31
Except for February
Isn’t that a lot of fun?
       That is how memories are triggered inside my tiny brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment