Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The Future may be Ugly 1803


       I always hope people will read my posts, but this one may not be for everyone. In 1954, 54% of Americans had jobs. By 2001 employment increased to 65%. We ex-Litton folks remember what happened from then on, with the continual layoffs until the plant closing in 2007. By 2018 only 60% of Americans have jobs.
       According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics that 5% drop equals 15 million less jobs in America. I was just reading again about the rise in artificial intelligence and the increase in development of robots and android robots. Americans will lose 30% of jobs in the next 13 years. That means 90 million more jobs will be gone in just over one decade. By 2030 as many as 800 million jobs around the world will be lost. So now is the time to be thinking what Americans will be doing without jobs.
       I have tried to find what ideas are now in consideration for the future. The only thing I could find was guaranteed income programs by the government but that would be costly and when true conservatives take over control of the government their ideas would be to cut spending and eliminate any of those programs, leaving starving masses.
With the increase of automation and the loss of 800 million jobs around the world, where or to whom will the automated products be sold? The answer is not a good one. In the 1930’s Americans were a more docile people and willing to stand in soup lines to survive. We are not the same Americans we were back then. We are a country of mass shootings, road rage over someone changing driving lanes in front of us. We are a country with a half a billion guns in the hands of private citizens.
       Until now the golden rule meant those with the gold made the rules. In 2030 or earlier that could change. The gun could rule the world.
       Joyce has faith that the young people of today will change the world. I hope she is right; I pray she is right. It could be that with less jobs either the woman or the man of the house will be staying home raising the children. My thinking is when both parents went to work in the late seventies, that started the decline in the raising of children and perhaps had a lot to do with a lot of children today. I figure I have 9 more years or less to live, so none of this may affect me. The rest of you, I do not know. What I do know is I will be enjoying my beers and smokes until whatever happens happens. Thinking about all the heavy mental research in this post has made me thirsty; I think I will have a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment