Friday, March 17, 2017

Wonderful day 1703

T’s a wonderful day to be the Irish. T’s a wonderful day to celebrate Saint Patrick. Patrick was the first archbishop in Ireland, which in itself was an accomplishment, but considering that he was originally a Roman citizen 16 years of age who was captured by Irish pirates on a raid to Britain and lived in slavery there for six years but still went back after his escape to preach and convert the Irish to Catholicism seems astounding to me. Legend has it that the Irish were troubled by many poisonous snakes in the late 4th and early 5th century, but Patrick went about and expelled them all into the sea.
While I am Irish, I have never drank any green beer and never will. That said, I have celebrated the day tipping a few brews while wearing the green and gazing at the green of the pines and the grass. My hope is that the emerald isle will ever be grand and safe in our ever uncertain world.


No comments:

Post a Comment